Friday, July 10, 2009
Toxic Free Home Remedies that Repel Pesky Bugs
Ahhhh I can’t stop scratching these annoying mosquito bites on my legs! I’ve scratched them so many times now that they’ve now turned into giant red welts. I don’t own bug spray because I’ve heard nightmarish things about the chemicals they often contain, but I refuse to can’t confine myself to my apartment just because I’m afraid to be bitten again. Luckily for me I came across a few easy home remedies that will help me battle those blood thirsty suckers the next time I’m outside.
Here are a few toxic-free green suggestions to repel insects:
#1 Pepper Spray
This works great for ants and other small pests.
• Boil 2 or 3 cups of water.
• Add about ½ to 2/3 cup of chopped hot pepper. Let marinate for a few minutes.
• Run the mixture thru a sieve to remove the peppers.
• Put the liquid in a squirt bottle and use when necessary.
• Be careful not to spray directly on foliage.
#2 Pure Vanilla Extract
Dab a little on your wrists, neck and behind the ears. Many insects don’t like the smell.
#3 Chem-Free Bug Off Mist
• Mix witch hazel with a few drops of tea tree oil, lavender oil, or peppermint oil in a squirt bottle.
• Lightly mist your body.
You can also add one of these essential oils to an unscented organic lotion for a bug repelling moisturizer.
#4 Lavender Works Mosquito Miracles
Stop the bites!
• Rub a lavender flower behind your ears, wrists and neck.
• Not only will you smell great but mosquitoes will leave you alone.
If you’ve already been bitten & you’re dying to stop the itch, I suggest coating your bite marks with:
• A baking soda/water paste
• A paste of plain oatmeal (cooked)
• Rubbing alcohol
• Scotch tape - some people say to put pieces of tape over the bite marks & it stops the itch!
Enjoy the weekend and watch out for those pesky biters!
P.S. - Don't wear perfume! Bugs are attracted to the scent.
Diposkan oleh Fauziah I,amh di 22:11