Friday, July 10, 2009

Toxic Free Home Remedies that Repel Pesky Bugs


Ahhhh I can’t stop scratching these annoying mosquito bites on my legs! I’ve scratched them so many times now that they’ve now turned into giant red welts. I don’t own bug spray because I’ve heard nightmarish things about the chemicals they often contain, but I refuse to can’t confine myself to my apartment just because I’m afraid to be bitten again. Luckily for me I came across a few easy home remedies that will help me battle those blood thirsty suckers the next time I’m outside.

Here are a few toxic-free green suggestions to repel insects:

#1 Pepper Spray
This works great for ants and other small pests.

• Boil 2 or 3 cups of water.
• Add about ½ to 2/3 cup of chopped hot pepper. Let marinate for a few minutes.
• Run the mixture thru a sieve to remove the peppers.
• Put the liquid in a squirt bottle and use when necessary.
• Be careful not to spray directly on foliage.

#2 Pure Vanilla Extract

Dab a little on your wrists, neck and behind the ears. Many insects don’t like the smell.

#3 Chem-Free Bug Off Mist

• Mix witch hazel with a few drops of tea tree oil, lavender oil, or peppermint oil in a squirt bottle.
• Lightly mist your body.

You can also add one of these essential oils to an unscented organic lotion for a bug repelling moisturizer.

#4 Lavender Works Mosquito Miracles

Stop the bites!

• Rub a lavender flower behind your ears, wrists and neck.
• Not only will you smell great but mosquitoes will leave you alone.

If you’ve already been bitten & you’re dying to stop the itch, I suggest coating your bite marks with:

• A baking soda/water paste
• A paste of plain oatmeal (cooked)
• Rubbing alcohol
• Scotch tape - some people say to put pieces of tape over the bite marks & it stops the itch!

Enjoy the weekend and watch out for those pesky biters!

xoxo,
Mia

P.S. - Don't wear perfume! Bugs are attracted to the scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment